15.12.07

I made a joke and they laughed, finally...

That's right. Not all humor can survive the language barrier.

While eating last night I was treated to rabo de boi (Ox-tail) among a selection of six or seven other poteins. I imagined one night as I lay awake thinking, with all this food Odelva might be slowly pushing me closer and closer to a heart attack from eating so she can have her daughter back. Just a little thought, anyway...

My father-in-law Mauro is a hardworking and driven man who fights the traffic and tussle of commuting everyday to and from the Ibirapuera Moema district of Sao Paulo.

As the evening progressed, Mauro ate one serving of Ox-tail and then another big serving and then yet another our eyes grew with amazement. Finally, as he grabbed the dish for more, I exclaimed:

"Somewhere there is an Ox walking around without his tail."

And it brought the house down. We laughed and laughed. Hours later Odelva would break into a laugh and when asked she'd just say "Ox without his tail."

No comments: