15.12.07

Ten Minnesota Truisms


There are a few Minnesota truisms I have been trying to impart upon Paulistas without much success. Maybe it is the language barrier but I suspect, moreso, it is just a healthy skepticism for anything that comes out of my mouth.

Often, the little tidbits of wisdom will pop from my head out of context during fast exchanges of translation which could also lead them to think something is loss in the translation and it is not only that I am crazy. Here they are:

#1: "It's not the heat, it's the humidity."

#2: "The bundt cake was invented in Minneapolis."

#3: "3M stands for Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing"

#4: "Rubarb, discovered in Minnesota has magical healing qualities and is known for soothing anxiety, calming aggression and can be used as anti-depressant." AND because of ruburb we have little need for psychology and psychiatric services.

#5: "It's important to dress in LAYERS"

#6: "Canned meat SPAM, invented in Austin Minnesota was decisive in making American the superpower of the world it is today."

#7: "White food can do little harm."

#8: "Post-it notes were invented in Minnesota as the result of a mistake."

#9: "Blood banks were invented at the Mayo Clinic" (I think when I first asserted this, in translation, they thought I said "Blood was invented at Mayo Clinic" causing them to be distrust all of my invented in Minnesota stories.

#10: "We have 356 words in Minnesota for snow."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Check it out -- Bundt cake WAS invented in Minnesota by David Dalquist at the request of the local chapter of the Hadassah Society:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundt_cake

Wikipedia does not lie!